Dual Enrollment & Articulation Agreements
Students may earn college credits for successful completion of selected courses at Edison Academy through Dual Enrollment and/or Articulation Agreements.
Junior and senior high school students (and exceptional freshmen and sophomores) taking designated Academy courses are eligible to earn Dual Enrollment college credits through Northern Virginia Community College, while still in high school. In addition, the FCPS School Board approved an additional weight of 1.0 for all dual enrollment courses. Dual enrolled courses and the process of acceptance are FREE to the student. This is a student option and not a requirement.
Students interested in Dual Enrollment (DE) must register with NOVA, using the links below no later than March 5, 2021: The DE process requires students to complete the NOVA application and the DE registration by the deadline of March 5, 2021.
Benefits of Dual Enrollment:
Dual enrollment can provide students an opportunity to enhance their education by enrolling early in college courses. This allows students to progress toward their next academic goal without having to wait until high school graduation.
- Allows students to receive high school and college credit simultaneously.
- Provides students a weighted grade of 1.0 for all dual enrollment courses.
- Can eliminate the duplication of courses taken in high school and in college.
- Permits students to accumulate credits prior to entering college so are able to graduate from college early or on time.
- Facilitates a seamless transition from high school to college. Students can experience how high school classes compare to college courses and how college professors differ from high school teachers.
- Engages students by enhancing student learning throughout the senior year of high school.
- Can lower the cost of a post-secondary education.
Dual Enrollment Qualifications:
To qualify to participate in Dual Enrollment in the courses which offer this option, students must meet the following requirements:
Students must have either a 3.0 GPA or meet the Math and English test score requirements below:
|ENG Test||Test Component(s)||Score Requirement|
|PSAT 10 or NMSQT||Evidence-Based Reading & Writing||390 or higher|
|SAT||Evidence-Based Reading & Writing||480 or higher|
|ACT||English AND Reading||18 or higher|
|AP||English Literature OR Language & Composition||3 or higher|
|VPT||English Virginia Placement Test qualifying score in NOVA's student information system - taken at a NOVA campus.|
|MTH Test||Test Component(s)||Score Requirement|
|PSAT 10 or NMSQT||Math||500 or higher|
|SAT||Math||530 or higher|
|ACT||Math||530 or higher|
|SOL||Algebra I, II or Geometry||400 or higher|
|AP||Math AP Calculus BC||3 or higher|
|IB||Math||5 or higher|
What Classes offer Dual Enrollment/College Credit at Edison Academy?
Dual Enrollment Agreements offer college credits for the following courses at Edison Academy (School Term 2020-2021)
- Automotive Technology 2/3 - Northern Virginia Community College - AUT 100 - 2 credits
- Culinary Arts 1/ 2 - Northern Virginia Community College - HRI 106, HRI 107, HRI 158 - up to 9 credits
- HVAC & Refrigeration 1/2 - Northern Virginia Community College - AIR 111, Air 121 - up to 7 credits
How Do I Enroll for the College Credit option for my Edison Academy class?
Dual Enrollment with Northern Virginia Community College: Students should take steps to participate in dual enrollment prior to starting the school year. These steps are completed at their home base high school with their guidance counselor before the deadline, March 5, 2021. Go here to access the steps and requirements.
Articulation Agreements can also help students prepare for college if they are headed to a particular school.
For information on FCPS Articulation Agreements go here.