Work Based Learning Experiences
Internships, Youth Apprenticeship, Career Enrichment Opportunities, and More
Please Note: Advertisement of these opportunities does not constitute sponsorship or endorsement of the sponsoring organization or the enrichment opportunity by the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent, or a specific FCPS school. This opportunity may utilize a technology tool that has not been assessed by the Fairfax County Public Schools Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent or guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity and families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform that enrichment opportunity may use before participating.
Want your organization's internship, youth apprenticeship, and other work experience opportunities for high school students listed here?
Contact the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, [email protected].
Miscellaneous Student Employment Opportunities
For any of these opportunities if you need help with developing your resume of knowledge, skills, and experience or help with creating a cover letter to introduce yourself, reach out to the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, Eugenia Williford, in the Edison Academy office or check out the resources in the Edison High School Academy Course in Schoology.
- Opportunity in Sterling, Virginia for temporary seasonal positions with The Hospitality Group, B.F. Saul. The Hospitality Group, B.F. Saul is interested in hiring guest service-oriented high school students who are 16 years old or older, who can work after school and are able to work 2-7 days a week for the Tinsel Winter Lights Festival. Interested students should consider attending a hiring event on Saturday, November 13, 2021, from 10 am – 12 pm. These temporary positions pay $18 per hour and are available now and will end on January 25, 2022. Interested students should apply by visiting the B.F. Saul Job Opportunities webpage. If students are looking for an immediate interview they should call or text 571-206-7791. Link to job opportunity flyer. For more information about the event visit the Tinsel Winter Lights Festival webpage.
- Interesting in the Hospitality industry? Belle Haven Country Club in Alexandria has openings for part-time employees! Part-time Receptionist, Landscaping, Cooks, Stewards/Servers and PT Front Desk Associate. Apply on-line here or send your cover letter and resume to @email.
- Part-Time Tutor Position now available at Kumon Math and Reading Center in Alexandria. Go here for more details.
- Part-Time and Part-time Office Assistant at Spring Hill Academy in Alexandria. Go here for more details.
- Vichelles Salon seeks Assistant(s) to perform shampooing, color applications, and blow dry. Go here for more details. Part-time for high school and full-time opportunities for graduates are available.
- Kids First Swim School in Springfield is looking for swim instructors and certified life guards, front desk associates, and deck hands. competitive pay, team oriented atmosphere, hands-on training, rewarding work with kids. For instructions to apply- text 1031905 to 415-851-3180 or visit their website for more information. Flyer found here.
- Students may also participate in local and county sponsored Teen Job Fairs to find other paid employment opportunities. More information coming soon on this year's dates and locations.
Student Internships and Enrichment Opportunities
Below are just a sampling of student internships and enrichment opportunities that have been shared with Edison Academy. Be sure to look for Work-based learning and enrichment opportunities in Student Naviance also to find even more opportunities.
When researching student internships be sure to read the descriptions carefully to be sure they are for high school students. If you find an internship of interest to you but are not certain if you qualify for it, please reach out to the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist (or your teacher or Academy support team member) to have them help you review the opportunity to determine your eligibility. Many internships have requirements or qualifications that must be met to apply such as citizenship, age, course of study you are engaged in, and others.
Links to internships and student enrichment opportunities:
- The Architect of the Capital - At the Architect of the Capitol (AOC), we are proud to be ranked as one of the Best Places to work in the Federal Government. We are currently recruiting talented students for several exciting opportunities, to further develop professionally, through our 2022 Summer Intern Program. This is a 12-week paid internship, which provides students 16 years of age and up, an invaluable opportunity to gain hands on experience working with professionals in a variety of disciplines at the Architect of the Capitol. We encourage students seeking an opportunity to serve and contribute to the history of America, to apply today! A full list of AOC’s current intern and career openings can be found on USAjobs.gov Architect of the Capitol, and to get answers to your questions email: @email. Available positions include: Building Automation Technology Aide, Masonry Aide, Wood Crafter Aide, Horticulture Urban Forester Aide, Office Clerk, Laborer/Gardener Aide, Architecture/Engineering Aide, and Safety and Code Compliance Aide
- Bank of America Student Leadership Internships (opens early November 2021 for 2022 opportunities)
- Chegg Internships - This search engine is useful for finding internships with many organizations all over the country and abroad.
- Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) Internship - Summer 2022 -The Commonwealth Cyber Initiative (CCI) Internship is available to rising high school seniors and rising first year college/university students who are 17+ and interested in learning more about exploring cyber security as a possible career option. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on February 15, 2022. https://form.jotform.com/213435926744057
- FCPS Department of Information Technology Internships Deadline to submit resumes and register to request an interview is TBA (to be announced) for 2021-22. (paid internships)
- Fairfax County Government Internships
- Google Internships
- Geosciences Bridge Program (6 week paid internships)
- Hutton Junior Fisheries Biology Program (paid summer internship)
- John Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory STEM Academy (enrichment program)
- John Hopkins ASPIRE Summer Program (enrichment program)
- Microsoft High School Program
- Mitre.org - Student Programs
- NIH Summer Internship Program (Biomedical research)
- NSA Student Programs
- Smithsonian Institution Internship
- STEM Youth Development Internship - Spring 2022 - The STEM Youth Development Internship is available to high school students ages 16+ who have a passion for STEM learning. They will be able to develop and practice professional skills at the Children's Science Center Lab while engaging in various hands-on activities. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on January 24, 2022 https://form.jotform.com/213445454775058
- The Intern Group - Internships Abroad ( this program requires students/graduates to pay fees to participate)
- US Government Pathways Internships (use this link to find multiple opportunities with US government agencies, may be paid or volunteer)
Youth Registered Apprenticeships (YRA)
Students have an opportunity to work for a sponsoring employer as a youth apprentice to gain on-the-job work experience while studying in a level 2 or level 3 trades class and completing academic high school classes for graduation. Apprentices may continue in the occupation as adult apprentices with the same or a different employer after high school graduation.
To become a Youth Registered Apprentice students must:
Be enrolled in a level 2 or level 3 class in Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Construction Technology, Electrical Construction and Engineering, or the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration program.
- Attain a minimum of 144 hours of classroom instruction in their connected (CTE) course (courses listed above). Students may receive retroactive credit for classroom hours from their level 1 classes.
- Attain at least 2,000 hours of work (on-the-job training) in a 2 year period with a sponsoring employer.
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from their assigned job site.
Actively Registered Apprenticeship Opportunities in Virginia as of Spring 2021
- HVAC Technicians
- Heavy Equipment Operators
- And areas of growth such as IT/Cyber and Engineering Technicians
Apprenticeship Course for High School Course Credit
Students who have a sponsoring employer may take the FCPS Apprenticeship Course, 984100 and receive course credit in addition to their enrolled CTE course credit if all conditions of the Youth Apprenticeship are satisfied.
FCPS Trades for Tomorrow Program
FCPS Trades for Tomorrow Apprenticeships in FCPS Facilities will be offered in 2021. Students must be currently studying in, or will be taking in 2021-22, a level 2 or 3 CTE course (Automotive Technology 2 or 3, Carpentry 2 or 3, Construction Technology 2, Electrical Construction & Engineering 2 or 3, or HVAC & Refrigeration 2). These opportunities will be offered at five FCPS work locations, paying $13.70 per hour. Students will be eligible to work full-time in the summer and after high school graduation. View the flyer here.
- Applications will be taken through submission of a resume submitted June 1, 2021. Recommendation letter submissions are highly encouraged.
- Interviews of applicants will take place on June 7, 2021.
- All interested students are encouraged to attend the May 25, Back2Fairfax Operational Virtual Event from 5-7 p.m. Visit this link for details about this event and how to register.
Other YRA Opportunities
Other opportunities may exist for youth registered apprentices. Students may reach out to their CTE teacher or the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, Eugenia Williford to get connected to the VDOLI- Youth Apprenticeships coordinator(s) for assistance with finding sponsoring employers.