Electrical Construction & Engineering
Our teacher, Mr. Wolfe, shares information about the Electrical Construction & Engineering program.
For students' perspectives on the Electrical Construction & Engineering program at Edison Academy, watch these videos.
FCPS Grade Level and Course Credit information is found at the links to the left. The Virginia Department of Education Curriculum may be found using the links to the right.
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level I - VDOE Curriculum
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level II - VDOE Curriculum
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level III - VDOE Curriculum
Level I Course Description
Students develop skills in the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of residential, commercial, and industrial electrical systems. They also study electrical theory, navigate the National Electrical Code Book, select and install conductors, and work with panelboards, switchboards, and generators.
Level II Course Description
Students continue to develop skills in the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of residential, commercial, and industrial electrical systems. They also study electrical theory and mathematical problems related to electricity, navigate the National Electrical Code Book, select and install conductors, examine lighting, communication, and power systems, and work with conduit and raceways, panelboards, switchboards, grounding systems, and generators.
Level III Course Description
Students will begin to develop and master skills learned in the previous two years. They will learn building code applications that will affect National Electrical Code Book regulations. They will learn the leadership and management skills to understand project management and employee management. In addition, third year students will further their experience with more advanced electrical systems, such as solar and wind power systems, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) systems.
- Off-campus FATE Residential Job Site
- Programmable Controllers
- Electrical Computer Programs
- Motor Control Devices
- Conduit & EMT Bending Equipment
- Data Termination
- Fire Alarm System
- Security Systems
- Fiber Optics
Professional Certification Opportunities
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration
- 10 Hour
- 30 Hour
- International Code Council - Residential Wiring Certification
- State of Virginia Apprenticeship - First Year Exam
- Virginia Workplace Readiness Skills
Potential Career Opportunities
- Electrical Engineer
- Electrical Consultant
- Journeyman Electrician
- Electrical Lineman
- Network Wiring
- Electrical Contractor
- Master Electrician
- Electrical Sales Representative
- Electrical Maintenance & Service
- Motor Control Specialist
Supporting Organizations and Companies
- Beckstrom Electric
- Jim Corridon Electrical Company
- Dominion Energy
- Dominion Electrical Supply, Inc.
- Dynalectric Electrical Contractors
- Ennis Electric Company, Inc.
- Fairfax County, Building Division
- Fairfax County Public Schools Office of Facilities Management
- Galaxy Electric
- Harbor Freight Tools
- Helix Electric Construction and Engineering
- Irwin Tool Company
- Lennox Tools
- Local 26 Elec Union
- Rush Electric
- Tradesmen International
- US Army
- Wolfe Electrical Solutions, LLC