Electrical Construction & Engineering
FCPS Grade Level and Course Credit information is found at the links to the left. The Virginia Department of Education Curriculum may be found using the links to the right.
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level I - VDOE Curriculum
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level II - VDOE Curriculum
- Electrical Construction & Engineering Level III - VDOE Curriculum
Level I Course Description
Students develop skills in the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of residential, commercial, and industrial electrical systems. They also study electrical theory, navigate the National Electrical Code, select and install conductors, and work with panelboards, switchboards, and generators. Students receive their first industry credential with OSHA -10.
Level II Course Description
Students continue developing their knowledge of industry electrical systems. Students begin to develop professional level workplace skills that allow them to experience real-world work conditions at a working off-campus job site. Students also have their first opportunity to excel in leadership, community service, and skills competitions through SkillsUSA at the local level and may advance to district, state, and national events. .
Level III Course Description
Students master skills learned in the previous two years and begin training as the management level. Skills that emphasize time management, project management, employee supervision and management, and inventory control are developed. Students at this level being to use their advanced skill set to lead and teach others. Students at this level also compete in SkillsUSA competitions and participate in leadership and community service Academy Ambassador opportunities.
Career Pathway Examples for Electrical Construction & Engineering Students
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Electrical and Electronics Engineers *Bright Outlook*
- Electrical and Electronics Installers and Repairers
- Electrical Line Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Electricians and Master Electricians *Bright Outlook*
- Electrical Sales Representative
- Electro-Mechanical and Mechatronics Technologist and Technicians
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Solar Photovoltaic Installers * VERY Bright Outlook*
- Elevator and Escalator Installers and Repairers *Bright Outlook*
- Administrative Services and Facilities Manager *Bright Outlook*
BLS Info - Check it Out!
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment of Electricians is projected to grow 9 percent from 2020 to 2030, as fast as average for all occupations with median pay in 2021 being $60,040 per year or $28.87 per hour. Employment of Electrical and Electronics Engineers will grow 7 percent percent from 2020-2030, as fast as average for all occupations with median pay in 201 being $101,780 per year. Solar Photovoltaic Installers earned a median pay of $47,670 in 2021 and will see job growth between 2020 -203 of 52 percent. The need for supervisors and managers will grow in the solar photovoltaic field giving rise to even better wages for those who pursue additional education and experience to be promoted. Elevator and Escalator Installers and Repairers earned a median pay of $97,860 per year in 2021 and will see job growth between 2020-2030 of 6 percent.
- Off-campus FATE Residential Job Site
- Residential Wiring
- Commercial Wiring
- Programmable Controllers
- Electrical Computer Programs
- Motor Control Devices
- Conduit & EMT Bending Equipment
- Data Termination
- Fire Alarm System
- Security Systems
Professional Certification Opportunities
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration
- 10 Hour
- International Code Council - Residential Wiring Certification
- State of Virginia Apprenticeship - First Year Exam
- Virginia Workplace Readiness Skills
Supporting Organizations and Companies
- Beckstrom Electric
- Jim Corridon Electrical Company
- City Electric Supply
- Dominion Electrical Supply, Inc.
- Ennis Electric Company, Inc.
- Fairfax County, Building Division
- Fairfax County Public Schools Office of Facilities Management
- Harbor Freight Tools
- Helix Electric Construction and Engineering
- Rush Electric
- US Army
- Wolfe Electrical Solutions, LLC
- Absolute Electric