Course Registration Information
Interested in attending the Edison Academy?
Choose a Specialized Program
Review our Edison Academy Course Offerings
Review the content of each course page on our website for courses that interest you.
- Automotive Collision Service
- Automotive Technology
- Construction Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Culinary Arts
- Cyber: Cloud Computing
- Cyber: Computer Systems Technology (A+)
- Cyber: Network Administration
- Cyber Oracle
- Cyber: Routing and Swtiching (Cisco)
- Cyber: Security
- Electrical Construction & Engineering
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration
- Veterinary Science
Suggestions for Students Considering an Academy Program:
Review all course information and videos shared on the pages of our website.
Think about a second course choice option, in the event that your first choice is not available.
Discuss your course interests with your parent or guardian to finalize your choices.
Attend our open house (virtual for 2020-2021) to be held on Wednesday, February 10, 2021. This event is open to high school students and their families. Flyer with more information coming soon!
Be sure to complete the registration process with your base school counselor by the deadline, March 12, 2021.
Have questions about our courses? Contact our Edison Academy Counselor, Ms. Cassandra Deedy.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
If you take classes at Edison Academy, can you switch your High School to Edison HS?
Students remain enrolled at their usual base school and attend their academy class(es) as a part of their regular school day.
How difficult is it to enroll in a popular Edison Academy class?
Some academy programs are very popular and have wait lists. We call these programs “oversubscribed” classes. We encourage students who want to take one of these classes to submit a statement to our counselor if they wish to share additional information with us. This statement might be used to communicate the student’s career goals, interest and related activities.
For our oversubscribed programs which offer 2 years of instruction, priority is given to rising high school juniors.
Level 2 and 3 students are admitted based on criteria communicated to students during their level 1 classes. General considerations may include grades and attendance in Level 1, industry certifications attained, and career focus.
How many periods in a school day are needed to take an academy class?
Some academy classes are 1 credit while some are 2 credits. If your base high school requires a travel period for transportation you may need additional class periods to take an academy class.
The Cosmetology program also requires additional class periods because students attend for a full-day every other day in order to meet Virginia State Licensing requirements to qualify them to sit for their licensing exam near the conclusion of their second year in the program.
What schools have shuttle transportation provided to Edison Academy?
The school system uses a formula to determine if bus transportation will be provided between base schools and the Academy. The number of students traveling at the same time, from the same school, must meet a threshold for shuttle transportation to be provided. Other considerations that influence shuttle availability are distance, time of day and traffic. Information about shuttle buses, that are to be provided in any given school year, should be distributed and shared with students through their base high school.
Are parents able to drop off and pick up students for their Academy Classes?
Yes, parents may pick up and drop off students for their classes at entrance #13.
May students drive themselves to take part in Edison Academy classes?
Students who wish to drive themselves will need to complete specific permission forms and will need a parking pass to parking the Academy parking lot. Students who have a base school parking pass will be issued a sticker to add to that pass at no cost. Students who do not have a base school parking pass must complete the application for an Academy parking pass and pay a $66 yearly parking fee.
Are the fees associated with taking an Edison Academy class?
Yes, there are fees for most programs which may include the cost of supplies, uniforms, and other necessities.
Additionally, students may choose to join their Career and Technical Education Student Organization which requires membership fees, registration fees for competitions, and travel and lodging expenses for state and national level competitions.
The Academy Decision Process:
- Grade level--sophomores are given priority in our 3-year programs (Automotive Collision, Automotive Technology, Culinary Arts, and Electrical Construction and Engineering) and juniors in our 2-year programs (Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, and Veterinary Science).
- Future career goals, interest and related activities may be used as tools to select students in our oversubscribed courses. Traditionally oversubscribed courses are: Automotive Technology, Cosmetology, Criminal Justice and Culinary Arts. Students interesting in enrolling in one of our traditionally oversubscribed courses are welcome to Email a Statement of Interest to the Edison Academy Counselor, Cassandra Deedy.
If you have questions about registration at Edison Academy contact our Academy Counselor, Cassandra Deedy
- March 5, 2021 - Deadline to request Dual Enrollment (DE) the dual enrollment process must be completed by this date. the DE process requires students to complete the online NOVA application, and the DE registration, by this deadline. Edison Academy dual enrolled courses are listed below. For some more information about dual enrollment visit our Dual Enrollment course page.
- Automotive Technology 2
- Automotive Technology 3
- Culinary Arts 1
- Culinary Arts 2
- HVAC 1
- HVAC 2
- March 12, 2021 - Academy application deadline. After this date, registrations will be accepted for courses on a space-available basis.
- April 20, 2021 - Students should check their email for status decisions; accepted, wait-listed, or denied for their chosen Academy course(s).
Video Overview of Programs
For an overview of Edison Academy Programs we invite you to view this video. We've undergone some changes since it was created. We have added more Cyber courses. Animal Science has become Veterinary Science. And we have added new teachers as others retired. What has not changed is the energy and enthusiasm of our students and teachers and the opportunities to gain real skills to prepare you for careers and for life after high school.
Be sure to also check out our YouTube Channel to view more videos from our teachers and current students to hear what they have to say about our programs.
Take at look at our Student Success Stories to learn how Academy programs have helped recent students to become leaders and provided our alumni with opportunities to excel in their careers.