Course Registration Information
Interested in attending the Edison Academy?
Choose a Specialized Program
Review our Edison Academy Course Offerings
Review the content of each course page on our website for courses that interest you.
Suggestions for Students Considering an Academy Program:
- Review all course information and videos shared on the pages of our website.
- Plan to attend our Open House on Saturday, February 3, 2024, between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. or make a student visit during the school day to see our Academy classes in action. Snow Date for Open House: Saturday, February, 10 2024.
- Open House for all interested high school students and their parents will take place on Saturday, February 4, 2024 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. View our flyer for this exciting event.
- Edison High School students will have an opportunity to schedule a return time visit on the following dates: Wednesday, January, 31, Tuesday, February 6, Thursday, February 8, Wednesday, February 14, Wednesday, February 21, and Tuesday, February 27. Please see your Edison High School Counselor for more information.
- Feeder High School Students (non-Edison HS students) can request a school day visit on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays from Tuesday, January 30- Thursday, February 29 during their AM or day classes. High School visitor passes are below, you will need to request to attend the visit through your high school counselor.
- Annandale Student Visitor Pass_1.pdf
- Bryant Student Visitor Pass_0.pdf
- Falls Church Student Visitor Pass_4.pdf
- Hayfield Student Visitor Pass_2.pdf
- Justice Student Visitor Pass_2.pdf
- LBSS Student Visitor Pass_2.pdf
- Lewis Student Visitor Pass_0.pdf
- Mount Vernon Student Visitor Pass_3.pdf
- Quander Road Student Visitor Pass_1.pdf
- South County Student Visitor Pass_2.pdf
- West Potomac Student Visitor Pass_2.pdf
- West Springfield Student Visitor Pass_1.pdf
- Think about a second course choice option, in the event that your first choice is not available.
- Discuss your course interests with your parent or guardian and finalize your choices.
- Be sure to complete the course registration process with your base school counselor by the deadline, Wednesday, March 6, 2024.
- Planning to participate in a dual enrollment course (HVAC-R 1 or 2; Automotive Technology 2 or 3, Cyber Network Administration 1, Cyber Oracle 1 &2, and Cyber Cloud Computing)? Be sure you complete that NOVA and FCPS process also with your base school counselor by the deadline, Saturday, March 23, 2024.
Have questions about our courses? Contact our Edison Academy Counselor, Ms. Cassandra Deedy.
The Academy Decision Process:
- Grade level--sophomores are given priority in our 3-year programs (Automotive Collision, Automotive Technology, Culinary Arts, and Electrical Construction and Engineering) and juniors are given priority in our 2-year programs (Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning, and Veterinary Science).
- Future career goals, interest and related activities may be used as tools to select students in our oversubscribed courses. Traditionally oversubscribed courses are: Automotive Collision Services, Automotive Technology, Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Culinary Arts, Electrical Construction and Engineering, HVAC-R, and Veterinary Science. Students interesting in enrolling in one of our traditionally oversubscribed courses should submit their Statement of Interest through this Google Link no later than Wednesday, March 6, 2024 to the Edison Academy Counselor, Cassandra Deedy. (Note: Be sure you are logged into your fcpsschools.net Google account to access this link.)
If you have questions about registration at Edison Academy contact our Academy Counselor, Cassandra Deedy
School Year 2024- 2025 Registration Timeline.
- Academy Registration Process Opens - Wednesday, January 3, 2024
- Last Day for On-Time Registration - Wednesday, March 6, 2024
- Late Registration Period Opens - Thursday, March 7, 2024
- Initial Enrollment Decisions - Friday, March 22, 2024
- Email Notifications Sent to Students - Sunday, March 31, 2024
- Deadline for completing the NOVA Dual Enrollment Process for students interested in HVAC 1 &2 or Auto Tech 2 & 3, Cyber Network Administrator 1, Cyber Oracle 1&2, Cyber Cloud Computing for the 2024-25 School Year is Saturday, March 23, 2024 All information about Dual Enrollment may be found on this Dual Enrollment Google Site. (New students who enroll in our courses over the summer may be considered for the DE option (only offered for HVAC and Auto Tech classes as mentioned above) but must have completed all steps of the DE process per instructions on the Dual Enrollment Google Site.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
If you take classes at Edison Academy, can you switch your High School to Edison HS?
- Students remain enrolled at their usual base school and attend their academy class(es) as a part of their regular school day. Some students who participate in Work Based Learning opportunities such as Youth Registered Apprenticeships may enroll in the NCRA at Edison Academy for some of their courses but all students remain enrolled and graduate from their base high school.
How difficult is it to enroll in a popular Edison Academy class?
- Some academy programs are very popular and have wait lists. We call these programs “oversubscribed” classes. We strongly encourage students who want to take one of these classes to submit a Statement of Interest to our counselor if they wish to share additional information with us. Students might use this statement communicate their career goals, interest and related activities. Statements are to be submitted using this Google Link. (Be sure you are logged into your fcpsschools.net Google account to access this link.)
- For our oversubscribed programs which offer 2 years of instruction, priority is given to rising high school juniors.
- Level 2 and 3 students are admitted based on criteria communicated to students during their level 1 classes. General considerations may include grades and attendance in Level 1, industry certifications attained, and career focus.
How many periods in a school day are needed to take an academy class?
- Some academy classes are 1 credit while some are 2 credits. If your base high school requires a travel period for transportation you may need additional class periods to take an academy class.
- The Cosmetology program also requires additional class periods because students attend for a full-day every other day in order to meet Virginia State Licensing requirements to qualify them to sit for their licensing exam near the conclusion of their second year in the program.
What schools have shuttle transportation provided to Edison Academy?
- The school system uses a formula to determine if bus transportation will be provided between base schools and the Academy. The number of students traveling at the same time, from the same school, must meet a threshold for shuttle transportation to be provided. Other considerations that influence shuttle availability are distance, time of day and traffic. Information about shuttle buses, that are to be provided in any given school year, should be distributed and shared with students through their base high school.
Are parents able to drop off and pick up students for their Academy Classes?
- Yes, parents may pick up and drop off students for their classes at entrance #13.
May students drive themselves to take part in Edison Academy classes?
- Students who wish to drive themselves will need to complete specific permission forms and will need a parking pass to parking in the Academy parking lot.
- Students who have a base school parking pass will be issued a sticker to add to that pass at no cost.
- Students who do not have a base school parking pass must complete the application for an Academy parking pass and pay a $66 yearly parking fee.
Are the fees associated with taking an Edison Academy class?
- Yes, there are fees for most programs which may include the cost of supplies, uniforms, and other necessities.
- Additionally, students may choose to join their Career and Technical Education Student Organization which requires membership fees, registration fees for competitions, and travel and lodging expenses for state and national level competitions.
- Students on Free or Reduced Lunch may receive waivers or have reduction in fees.
Check out this Video for an Overview of our Academy!
Take at look at our Student Success Stories to learn how Academy programs have helped former students to become leaders and have opportunities to excel in their careers.