Teachers for Tomorrow
This program will be offered at all FCPS High Schools in 2021-2022 and will no longer be an Edison Academy course option. HS students will take the level 1 &2 courses for Teachers for Tomorrow through their own base high school.
FCPS Grade Level and Course Credit information is found at the links to the left. The Virginia Department of Education Curriculum may be found using the links to the right.
Level I Course Description
Virginia Teachers for Tomorrow (VTfT) fosters student interest, understanding, and appreciation of the teaching profession and allows secondary students to explore careers in education. Students build a foundation for teaching; learn the history, structure and governance of teaching; apply professional teaching techniques in the VTfT classroom and field experience; and reflect on their teaching experiences. Additional educational leadership opportunities are offered through the student organization, Future Educators Association (FEA).
Level II Course Description
Students continue to explore careers in the Education and Training Cluster and pathways. This course provides the opportunity for students to prepare for careers in education as they research postsecondary options, learn about the process of teacher certification in Virginia, and participate in a practicum experience.
- Develop an understanding of cognitive, physical, and moral growth in children
- Observe and assess various classroom settings to learn more about the teaching profession, classroom organization, lesson planning, and career options
- Learn the importance of networking, career exploration, and resume writing
- Create lesson plans using various formats
- Research course curriculums required by the VA Department of Education
- Become comfortable in a classroom setting through completing an internship
- Create a portfolio showcasing all course work
Professional Certification Opportunities
- Virginia Workplace Readiness Skills
- PRAXIS Core
Potential Career Opportunities
- Teacher at elementary, middle, or high school in a specific content area, grade(s), or special education
- School counselor
- Social Worker
- School Psychologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Reading Specialist
- School Security Officer
- School Based Technology Specialist
- Fairfax County Public Schools