Dual Enrollment & College Articulation
Dual Enrollment & Articulation Agreements
Students may earn college credits for successful completion of selected courses at Edison Academy through Dual Enrollment and/or Articulation Agreements.
Dual enrollment allows high school students to enroll in postsecondary coursework while earning high school and college credit. Students enrolled in a dual enrollment course may pay college tuition but tuition may be significantly discounted from what a student would pay if they took the course at the college or university's campus.
Junior and senior high school students (and exceptional freshmen and sophomores) taking designated Academy courses are eligible to earn Dual Enrollment college credits through Northern Virginia Community College, while still in high school. In addition, the FCPS School Board approved an additional weight of 1.0 for all dual enrollment courses similar to AP and IB program courses.
Dual enrolled courses and the process of acceptance with Northern Virginia Community College are currently FREE to the student (School Year 2021-22). This is a student course option and not a requirement.
Benefits of Dual Enrollment:
Dual enrollment can provide students an opportunity to enhance their education by enrolling early in college courses. This allows students to progress toward their next academic goal without having to wait until high school graduation.
- Allows students to receive high school and college credit simultaneously.
- Provides students a weighted grade of 1.0 for all dual enrollment courses.
- Can eliminate the duplication of courses taken in high school and in college.
- Permits students to accumulate credits prior to entering college so are able to graduate from college early or on time.
- Facilitates a seamless transition from high school to college. Students can experience how high school classes compare to college courses and how college professors differ from high school teachers.
- Engages students by enhancing student learning throughout the senior year of high school.
- Can lower the cost of a post-secondary education.
The Dual Enrollment Process
The Dual Enrollment process requires students to complete a NOVA application and register for their DE course(s). For instructions and more information students should visit this Google site.
The deadline for enrolling for the DE option for the 2022-23 school year is May 23,2022.
Dual Enrollment Qualifications:
Please contact your high school counselor for the requirements to qualify to participate in DE and for other information about Dual Enrollment. You may also visit this Google site.
What Classes offer Dual Enrollment/College Credit at Edison Academy?
Dual Enrollment Agreements offer college credits for the following courses at Edison Academy (School Term 2021-2022)
- Automotive Technology Level 2 - Northern Virginia Community College - AUT 100 Introduction to Automotive Shop Practices - 2 credits
- Automotive Technology Level 3 - Northern Virginia Community College - AUT 265 Automotive Braking Systems - 2 credits
- HVAC & Refrigeration Level 1 - Northern Virginia Community College - AIR 121 Principles of Refrigeration- 3 credits
- HVAC & Refrigeration Level 2 - Northern Virginia Community College - AIR 111 Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Controls - 3 credits
How Do I Enroll for the College Credit option for my Edison Academy class?
Articulation Agreements can also help students get a head start on college. Articulation agreements typically allow students who meet specific criteria the opportunity to bypass a college course at a particular institution because it is the equivalent of their studies in the high school program.
For information on FCPS Articulation Agreements go here.