Work Based Learning Experiences
Internships, Youth Apprenticeship, and More
Please Note: Advertisement of these opportunities does not constitute sponsorship or endorsement of the sponsoring organization or the enrichment opportunity by the Fairfax County School Board, the Superintendent, or a specific FCPS school. This opportunity may utilize a technology tool that has not been assessed by the Fairfax County Public Schools Department of Information Technology. Students should gain permission from their parent or guardian before engaging in any non-FCPS enrichment opportunity and families should review and agree to the Terms of Service and User Agreements for any technology platform that enrichment opportunity may use before participating.
Want your organization's internship, youth apprenticeship, and other work experience opportunities for high school students listed here?
Contact the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, email@example.com.
Miscellaneous Student Employment Opportunities
For any of these opportunities if you need help with developing your resume of knowledge, skills, and experience or help with creating a cover letter to introduce yourself, reach out to the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, Eugenia Williford, in the Edison Academy office or check out the resources in the Edison High School Academy Course in Schoology.
- Interesting in the Hospitality industry? Belle Haven Country Club in Alexandria has openings for part-time employees! Part-time Receptionist, Landscaping, Cooks, Stewards/Servers and PT Front Desk Associate. Apply on-line here or send your cover letter and resume to @email.
- Part-Time Tutor Position now available at Kumon Math and Reading Center in Alexandria. Go here for more details.
- Part-Time and Part-time Office Assistant at Spring Hill Academy in Alexandria. Go here for more details.
- Vichelles Salon seeks Assistant(s) to perform shampooing, color applications, and blow dry. Go here for more details. Part-time for high school and full-time opportunities for graduates are available.
- Kids First Swim School in Springfield is looking for swim instructors and certified life guards, front desk associates, and deck hands. competitive pay, team oriented atmosphere, hands-on training, rewarding work with kids. For instructions to apply- text 1031905 to 415-851-3180 or visit their website for more information. Flyer found here.
- Students may also participate in local and county sponsored Teen Job Fairs to find other paid employment opportunities. More information coming soon on this year's dates and locations.
Student Internships and Enrichment Opportunities
Students taking a Business or Marketing course may take part in student internships during the school year. Students should connect with their teacher for internship opportunities.
Be sure to look for Work-based learning and enrichment opportunities in Student Naviance also to find internships.
Links to internships and student internship information.
When researching student internships be sure to read the descriptions carefully to be sure they are for high school students. If you find an internship of interest to you but are not certain if you qualify for it, please reach out to the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist (or your teacher or Academy support team member) to have them help you review the opportunity to help you determine your eligibility. Many internships have requirements or qualifications that must be met to apply such as citizenship, age, course of study you are engaged in, and others.
- Architect of the Capitol Internships
- Bank of America Student Leadership Internships
- Chegg Internships - This search engine is useful for finding internships with many organizations all over the country and abroad.
- Commonwealth Cyber Initiative, GMU, and Children's Science Center internships.
- Department of the Treasury Internship
- FCPS Department of Information Technology Internships Deadline to submit resumes and register to request an interview is May 7, 2021.
- NEW! Fairfax County Government IT Internships Summer 2021 Flyer with all details may be found here. FC%20Govt%20IT%20Internships%20Flyer%20FINAL_0.pdf Deadline to apply is June 18,2021. Apply by completing a form AND submitting a resume.
- Google Computer Science Summer Institute
- George Washington's Mount Vernon Facilities - after school and weekend internship - seeking rising Junior or rising Senior to start spring 2021. This internship has led to full-time employment, sponsorship for apprenticeship, elevation to supervising employee at Mount Vernon and entrepreneurship for past interns.
- Hutton Junior Fisheries Biology Program
- INOVA Interns Summer Programs
- John Hopkins ASPIRE Internships (STEM)
- Microsoft High School Program
- Mitre.org - Early High School and other Student Internships
- NASA Internship and Other Student Work Opportunities
- NIH Internship (Health & Medical)
- NSA Gifted and Talented STEM Internship ( and other programs sponsored for students by NSA)
- NSA STEM Engagement Internship
- Smithsonian Institution Internship
- The Intern Group - Internships Abroad
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore Geosciences Bridge Program Internships
- US Government Pathways Internships (use this link to find multiple opportunities with US government agencies)
- UVA Library Internship ( 2 hours from DC metro area)
Youth Registered Apprenticeships (YRA)
Students have an opportunity to work for a sponsoring employer as a youth apprentice to gain on-the-job work experience while studying in a level 2 or level 3 trades class and completing academic high school classes for graduation. Apprentices may continue in the occupation as adult apprentices with the same or a different employer after high school graduation.
To become a Youth Registered Apprentice students must:
Be enrolled in a level 2 or level 3 class in Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Construction Technology, Electrical Construction and Engineering, or the Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration program.
- Attain a minimum of 144 hours of classroom instruction in their connected (CTE) course (courses listed above). Students may receive retroactive credit for classroom hours from their level 1 classes.
- Attain at least 2,000 hours of work (on-the-job training) in a 2 year period with a sponsoring employer.
- Students must provide their own transportation to and from their assigned job site.
Actively Registered Apprenticeship Opportunities in Virginia as of Spring 2021
- HVAC Technicians
- Heavy Equipment Operators
- And areas of growth such as IT/Cyber and Engineering Technicians
Apprenticeship Course for High School Course Credit
Students who have a sponsoring employer may take the FCPS Apprenticeship Course, 984100 and receive course credit in addition to their enrolled CTE course credit if all conditions of the Youth Apprenticeship are satisfied.
FCPS Trades for Tomorrow Program
FCPS Trades for Tomorrow Apprenticeships in FCPS Facilities will be offered in 2021. Students must be currently studying in, or will be taking in 2021-22, a level 2 or 3 CTE course (Automotive Technology 2 or 3, Carpentry 2 or 3, Construction Technology 2, Electrical Construction & Engineering 2 or 3, or HVAC & Refrigeration 2). These opportunities will be offered at five FCPS work locations, paying $13.70 per hour. Students will be eligible to work full-time in the summer and after high school graduation. View the flyer here.
- Applications will be taken through submission of a resume submitted June 1, 2021. Recommendation letter submissions are highly encouraged.
- Interviews of applicants will take place on June 7, 2021.
- All interested students are encouraged to attend the May 25, Back2Fairfax Operational Virtual Event from 5-7 p.m. Visit this link for details about this event and how to register.
Other YRA Opportunities
Other opportunities may exist for youth registered apprentices. Students may reach out to their CTE teacher or the Edison Academy Career Experience Specialist, Eugenia Williford to get connected to the VDOLI- Youth Apprenticeships coordinator(s) for assistance with finding sponsoring employers.